Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spicy Orange Shrimp

This has been one of my husband's recipes from the first time I made it. I'll never forget the first time I made it. It was so spicy my lips had blisters, but my husband kept telling me he didn't know what I was talking about. He tried to convince me it wasn't hot, and it was me being a pansy. Well the next day he fessed up that it was actually hot, he just didn't want to admit it. Let that be a warning to those who aren't a fan of spice, this has a lot of it. I served this over jasmine rice with a side of roasted asparagus.


The original recipe is here, on The Pioneer Woman's blog.

Ingredients

  • 24 pieces (26-30 Per Pound) Deveined Shrimp
  • 1 tbsp pre-minced garlic
  • 3/4 cups Orange Juice
  • 3/4 tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp Salted Butter, Divided
  • 1 tbsp corn starch

Preparation Instructions

Take tails off shrimp, and pat dry with paper towels.
Add the garlic, cayenne pepper, and Old Bay seasoning to the orange juice, and mix together.  
In a large skillet, over medium heat melt 2 tablespoons butter. Once butter has melted add your shrimp. Cook them for about 30-60 seconds and begin flipping them over starting with the ones you placed in the pan first so they don’t get overdone. Cook for another 30-60 seconds. Remove the cooked shrimp from the pan, leaving the heat on medium.
Add the spicy orange juice garlic mixture to the pan and give it a good stir. After about a minute add the brown sugar and stir. Next add the last tablespoon of butter to the sauce. After that has simmered a couple minutes mix the tablespoon of corn starch with a tablespoon of cold water. Then add it to the spicy orange mixture and stir. Return the shrimp to the pan and give them a nice toss to coat them in the sauce. 
Adjust the spices to your taste buds. Please no complaining if you end up with blisters on your lips like  I did the first time I made this.


Tootles,


Just Add Chocolate

No comments: