Sunday, March 27, 2011

Beef Stroganoff - the light version

I really like beef stroganoff. I have one recipe that ALWAYS comes out great, and whenever I deviate from it the result is just okay. Well because my husband and I are attempting to eat healthier I gave yet another version a shot. I should have known a light version of beef stroganoff was only going to be okay. But I think if your serious about eating healthier this isn't a bad alternative. Or if you added some red wine and more spice this one might be just fine. 

The recipe came from Skinnytaste, who has other VERY good light/healthy food. I'll save some of my hits from her website for another time.


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb lean tri-tip sirlion steak, trimmed of all fat, cut in thin 1/4" x 2" strips
  • olive oil cooking spray
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1tablespoon pre-minced garlic
  • 10 oz of sliced mushrooms
  • 1 can of Campbells tomato soup
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 small fresh bay leaf
  • 3 tsp worcestershire sauce
  • 2/3 cup of light sour cream
  • Fresh cracked pepper

Directions:
Heat skillet on medium high. Once hot add enough olive oil to barely cover the bottom of the pan. Add the trimmed sirloin. Once meat is cooked, remove from pan. 

Turn heat down to medium. Add butter, onion, garlic, and mushrooms. After they start to cook down/soften add tomato soup, water, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, fresh cracked paper, and beef. Let simmer on low for 40 minutes. Then mix in sour cream.

Serve over noodles. I served over Amish egg noodles.

Tootles,

Just Add Chocolate



No comments: