Friday, April 1, 2011

Greek Cinnamon Stewed Chicken


I apologize I haven't blogged much this week. Between Chad working afternoons and me showing a TON of homes, cooking hasn't happened. Don't worry, I have some great things planned for this weekend! 

When I saw the name of this recipe I was turned off yet intrigued. Well, when I saw the ingredients it started to sound good. My husband looked at me like I had three heads when  I told him we were having cinnamon chicken for dinner. I originally saw this recipe on this blog, who got it from Cat Cora on Oprah's website. 

While I made this recipe almost as directed, it was FANTASTIC. Like this is making the list of one of my favorite meals. DH thinks it needs more spice, but take that with a grain of salt because he thinks EVERYTHING needs more spice. I used boneless skinless breasts, and it turned out fantastic. This was the most tender chicken I have ever had or made, EVER. Don't delay, make this as soon as you can!

Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons pre-minced garlic divided
  • 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons dehydrated minced onions
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste (I used the roasted garlic flavor)
  • 1 Tbsp. dried Italian herb seasoning
  • 1 cup orzo , cooked according to package directions
  •  Parmesan cheese
Directions:
Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Mix the cinnamon, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the chicken pieces on all sides with the seasoning. Heat the olive oil in a large, nonreactive, deep skillet over medium heat.  Add the chicken to the oil and brown for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove the pieces when they are well browned on all sides.

Add the minced onions and 1 1/2 tablespoons of pre-minced garlic. Cook for about a minute, or until it becomes fragrant. Add about 1/2 cup of the water and scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula or spoon to deglaze the pan, loosening any particles stuck on the bottom.

When the water has evaporated, add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of water, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and remaining garlic.

Return the chicken to the pan. The liquid should cover about 3/4 of the chicken pieces. Cover the pot and simmer over medium-low heat for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked. If the sauce becomes too thick, it can be thinned with a little more water. Season the finished sauce with kosher salt and pepper to taste. Serve over orzo, cooked according to 
package directions, and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.

Tootles,
Just Add Chocolate

No comments: