Monday, March 12, 2012

The Best Pulled Pork EVER!

So I had a friend suggest this recipe when I was looking for a good pulled pork recipe. My husband had actually requested pulled pork, and its rare that he ever requests anything, so I knew I needed a killer recipe. The recipe my friend suggested was so amazing I need to share. I imagine it helped that I got the meat from our local butcher, as the quality is far superior around us then any local grocery store.

After I put the meat in the crockpot I forgot to move it to our utility room before we went out. Moose, our over grown red Irish Setter, broke the last crock pot pulling it off the counter. The crock broke clear in half. My husband remembered when we were at Starbucks, so the whole drive home I was scared dinner would not only be ruined, but so would my brand new crock pot! Luckily for Moose, and the crock pot it remained on the counter untouched. Moose is notorious for taking things off the counter, and as a result NOTHING can be left on there.

This is the original recipe: Crockpot Pulled Pork. I made very few changes to the original recipe.

Crockpot Pulled Pork


Slow Cooker Pulled Pork (spice rub from Cooks Illustrated)
Spice Rub:
2 tablespoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 (2 pound) boneless pork shoulder
2 cups barbecue sauce (I used Famous Daves Rich & Sassy.)
Combine all the spices and rub over the meat. The amount of spices is enough for two pork shoulders, if you use only a 2lb piece of meat. You should let the meat marinate for 3-24 hours, but I made it immediately. Place the pork shoulder in the crock pot. If the crockpot is much bigger than the meat, place it in a casserole dish, and then place that in the crock pot. Add 1/2 cup water to the bottom of the casserole dish, or crock pot, depending on where you are cooking the meat. Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours. Once the meat is fork tender take it out and shred it, while discarding any fat that the meat has. Add the meat back to the cock pot and mix in almost a cup of bbq sauce. Cook on low for half an hour. Serve it up, and drizzle more bbq sauce to taste.r 


No comments: